Pages

Sep 8, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Empty

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

Empty by Suzanne Weyn seems to promise to be one of my new favorite dystopian reads. With a landing date of October 1st, I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

It's the near future - the very near future - and the fossil fuels are running out. No gas. No oil. Which means no driving. No heat. Supermarkets are empty. Malls have shut down. Life has just become more local than we ever knew it could be.

Nobody expected the end to come this fast. And in the small town of Spring Valley, decisions that once seemed easy are quickly becoming matters of life and death. There is hope - there has to be hope - just there are also sacrifices that need to be made, and a whole society that needs to be rethought.

Teens like Nicki, Tom, and Leila may find what they need to survive. But their lives are never going to be the same again.


From Goodreads

I think the thing that really draws me to this book is, based on the description, its plausibility. I can actually imagine this happening in our future. With gas becoming increasingly expensive, reserves running out, and the demand never ceasing, I can imagine this as a very real possibility. It truly would mean that, even with all our medical and technological advances, that we would be gradually reduced to a more remote way of life. I can't wait to pick this one up in a few weeks. What are you waiting on?

1 comment:

swiggett said...

ooooo - that sounds right up my alley. Looking forward to it!