Pages

Jul 3, 2011

Happy 4th of July & a patriotic reading list

I hope you are all planning a safe & festive Fourth of July! I'll be enjoying grilled food & a local fireworks show myself. In honor of this great day I've compiled a mixture of fiction & non-fiction books celebrating this great nation. I hope you get a chance to read at least one or two of these at some point in time.

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier
Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
True North: A Novel of the Underground Railroad by Kathryn Lasky
Common Sense by Thomas Paine
A Stitch in Time by Ann Rinaldi
Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation by Cokie Roberts
Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara

My favorite part of this holiday is the chance to reflect on our nation's history & thanking those who continue to serve & protect. Be sure to thank any police officer, fire fighter, EMT paramedic, soldier, or any other service worker. I'll leave you with another favorite quote of mine:

“This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” Elmer Davis

No comments: