Pages

Feb 1, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Trafficked by Kim Purcell

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week I'm not really focused on books too much because we just got the news that we got approved for our apartment. My husband & I have been separated (by 800 miles) & living with family since May 2010. This apartment will mark the first time we've gotten to live together, alone, since then. I think I have sufficient reason to be distracted. :D

Anywhoodle, this week I'm most intrigued by the February 16th release of Trafficked by Kim Purcell. While the storyline itself has been "ripped from the headlines" this is a first for this kind of story in the YA genre (that I'm aware of). Read on for the details.



Trafficked coverHannah believes she's being brought from Moldova to Los Angeles to become a nanny for a Russian family. But her American dream quickly spirals into a nightmare. The Platonovs force Hannah to work sixteen-hour days, won't let her leave the house, and seem to have a lot of secrets - from Hannah and from each other. Stranded in a foreign land with false documents, no money, and nobody who can help her, Hannah must find a way to save herself from her new status as a modern-day slave or risk losing the one thing she has left: her life.

From Goodreads


How absolutely terrifying would that be? In the US alone there are between 14,500 & 17,500 people trafficked in annually (CNN). While this is sure to be a harrowing story, not all trafficked individuals are "fortunate" enough to end up in Hannah's circumstance. I have a feeling that this book will be a tough one to read, not just because of the subject matter, but also because of how I think the writing will be stylized. Either way, I'm up for the challenge. Who's with me?

Also, I just found an interesting (and kind of scary story) about the amount of prostitution & sex trafficking for major sporting events. There are several organizations trying to raise awareness about this travesty. Read the original article.

What are you waiting on this week?

No comments: