Pages

Oct 29, 2012

What else have I been reading?

If the blog has seemed a little emptier than usual, I apologize. A lag in my ability to obtain YA books from my library has led me to read in other sections of the library & wade my way through the books I picked up when Borders was going out of business. GASP! While I may have enjoyed some of the titles I dabbled in, these are some of the lesser successes. Not many of them were complete failures mind you, but none of them really hit the mark with me.

First Kill coverFirst Kill by Heather Brewer
I resisted trying the Vlad Tod series because I just couldn't stand another vampire book. I go through spells where they're all I'm into, but this just never satisfied my need. When First Kill appeared as a book from the slayer's point of view I thought that it might bring me around. Alas it just didn't suit me. I found myself unable to really connect with the characters. Maybe I should have read the Vlad Tod series first... Who knows.


Eat Pray Love cover

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I've heard a lot of people say that this book was amazing. It looked a little iffy to me since it's about a horribly blessed woman going through a rough patch in her life and how she decides to travel the world in search of something to believe in. While I loved Frances Mayes's Under the Tuscan Sun, Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love felt trite in comparison. I know it's her "memoir" so it should be self-centered, but I just couldn't stomach her belly-aching. After a while I just wanted to scream at her. While the settings were incredible and the people were fascinating, I just couldn't deal with this woman.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo coverThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Having worked in a public library when this book came out and was ridiculously popular, most people are surprised I haven't read it. I'm that way about most popular books; either I read them before they are popular (like The Help) or I shy away until the hype dies down. Many people warned me that this book took a while to get into, but I just never did. I read the whole thing to the end just to see if there would be something to catch me & it just never happened. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a mystery (in the traditional sense of the genre) reader or maybe it was the utter confusion I felt about some of the more graphic/violent scenes. Either way, I can at least say that this was not my cup of tea.

Deja Dead coverDeja Dead by Kathy Reichs
I know that viewers often have issues adjusting their perception from film/tv to book format of something they love, but I was hoping that wouldn't be the case for me. I really admire Kathy Reichs for her work (since the books are based on her own experiences as a forensic anthropologist) and love the tv shows Bones, but I just couldn't get into this book. I only read about 1/3 of the book, so I may give it another shot at a later date, but it's painfully obvious that this is a new writer still working out her rhythm. I was even more surprised at how different the characters were. I was expecting replicas, but it's now obvious just how many liberties have been taken in the creation of the show.




Have you ever experienced this? What are some books you just couldn't get into? Sound off in the comments!

No comments: