Pages

Mar 18, 2013

If I Should Die (Revenants #3) by Amy Plum review


MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO BOOKS! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?


From Goodreads

Trust me folks, a summary doesn't get more spoiler-free than that one right there. I tried, in vain, for quite some time to come up with a summary in my own words, but there is just so much that happens that is delicate or could easily be misconstrued if taken out of context that I'm sticking with the official description.

In short, this was amazing! I don't think I've read such a satisfying resolution to a series as this in quite a while. Amy Plum really does all the plots justice in this final chapter of the Revenants series.


We continue with our core group of characters following on the heels of losing Vincent to numa. Different kinds and intensities of grief can affect certain people in varying ways. Some break down, while others rise up. We see both of these among the revenants and Kate's family. Plum does these emotions justice and really allows the reader to connect with the characters' experiences. This style carries throughout the entire book, which I found to be a necessary component while reading. Emotions are relied on heavily in order to carry the story. While there is plenty of action at the appropriate moments, the emotional decisions and reactions are what binds it all together.

Naturally the setting is sumptuous. France is a natural setting for such an extraordinary story because of the rich history that the area lends to the writer. Plum capitalizes on this fact taking us not just through "recent" history, but all the way back to ancient times. None of the book actually takes place then, but as the reader learns more about revenant history, the farther back into time we glimpse.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much happened in what seemed like such a short time frame. From beginning to end, this series takes a little over a year, but this book took place in maybe two weeks, some days of which are skipped due to loss of consciousness or travel. This was certainly the most action-packed book of the series and rightly so considering all that had to take place in order to achieve the desired resolution.

If you haven't had the immense pleasure of enjoying this series, please visit your local library or book store and remedy the situation as soon as possible. While I am sorry to see these characters and this wonderful world go, I am happy with the results. Congratulations Amy Plum on a job well done!

No comments: