Pages

Mar 8, 2013

March Genreflecting: Issues: The Basics


Genreflecting wordle

I wanted to do a reading challenge for the subject of Genreflecting, but I didn't get much feedback (maybe because it asked you to read 2 books for each genre and discuss them or because it's not really a "reading challenge" per se, but more an educational experiment), so I've turned it into a monthly feature! For each month of 2013, there will be a specific genre that will be analyzed. I'm planning to have author input and at least 2 reviews of books in the genre as well.

March's genre is Issues! Usually dubbed "problem novels" books about issues are just that, issue-driven books. A lot of times these can be considered the "harder" book and often find themselves being challenged for content. At the same time, they are likely to win awards for their handling of some very touchy subjects ranging from homosexuality to abuse to disabilities. Teens usually read these books to feel like they're not alone in their plight or to find solace in the fact that there are worse things to face in life. The issues faced in these books change over time based of what issues real-life teens are currently facing. (paraphrased from Teen Genreflecting 3, 2010)

A few of my favorite authors you may recognize in this genre are:
Ellen Hopkins Identical
Emily Murdoch If You Find Me
Nancy Werlin The Rules of Survival
Gayle Forman If I Stay
Laurie Halse Anderson Wintergirls

I'm excited to say that I've chosen my two books, one older and one newer, to read for this challenge. The older book is Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden (originally published in 1982) and I'll have a review and analysis up on Friday, March 22nd. The newer book is Thirteen Reason Why by Jay Asher (originally published in 2007) and I'll have a review and analysis up on Friday, March 29th. I'll be giving away my copy of Thirteen Reasons Why during the week following it's review post so stay tuned!

No comments: