Pages

Mar 13, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: If He Had Been With Me by Laura Nowlin

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

Every once in a while there is a book that comes along that makes me wonder if some author's don't have telepathic abilities. If He Had Been With Me by Laura Nowlin, coming out  April 1, 2013, is one of those books. I had a best friend from birth who I was never apart from really. We lived next door to one another, went to the same schools, and I have very few childhood memories not involving him. When my parents divorced I moved away and we lost that connection. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if we hadn't lost it. Probably nothing like whatever will happen in this book, but still.


If He Had Been With Me coverIf he had been with me, he wouldn't have died.

Throughout their whole childhood, Finn and Autumn were inseparable—they finished each other's sentences, they knew just what to say when the other person was hurting. But one incident in middle school puts them in separate social worlds come high school, and Autumn has been happily dating James for the last 2 years. But she's always wondered what if...

The night she's about to get the answer is also one of terrible tragedy.


From Goodreads


I'm kind of worried about what terrible tragedy will befall these teens, but I am at least relieved that you can enter into the book with that expectation. Sometimes books throw a gut-wrenching tragedy at you with no warning and I can find that too painful. This time I will be prepared and go into the book knowing that something is lurking in the depths of the book.

What are you waiting on this week?


1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Thanks for sharing about your own story that thankfully seems to be happier than this one as maybe you'll end up reconnecting someday. I have some friends I've lost touch with who I wouldn't mind reconnecting with.