Pages

Jul 5, 2013

July Genreflecting: Science-Fiction: The Basics

Genreflecting wordle

I wanted to do a reading challenge for the subject of Genreflecting, but I didn't get much feedback (maybe because it asked you to read 2 books for each genre and discuss them or because it's not really a "reading challenge" per se, but more an educational experiment), so I've turned it into a monthly feature! For each month of 2013, there will be a specific genre that will be analyzed. I'm planning to have author input and at least 2 reviews of books in the genre as well.

July's genre is Science-Fiction! This books oftentimes are housed with the Fantasy books because there is can be disagreements on which book belongs where. Most Science-Fiction books tend to look at the "what if" scenarios and are heavily influenced by scientific knowledge. The subject matter can range anywhere from time travel to aliens to dystopic futures. What tends to bind these stories together is their appreciation of the moral and philosophical implications of either the created world or the characters' roles in that world. These books also tend to stretch the imagination and scientific merit of the elements of the story. Plausibility is not a requirement and the farther stretching, sometimes the better the story. There are several subgenres depending on your preferred scenario so be sure to check back next week for the details post. (paraphrased from Teen Genreflecting, 2003)

A few of my favorite authors you may recognize in this genre are:
I'm excited to say that I've chosen my two books, one older and one newer, to read for this challenge. The older book is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (originally published in 1979) and I'll have a review and analysis up on Friday, July 19th. The newer book is The Program by Suzanne Young (originally published in 2013) and I'll have a review and analysis up on Friday, July 26th. I'll also be hosting a giveaway, so stay tuned!

No comments: