Pages

Jul 31, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week I'm featuring something a bit different. The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate is set for a September 1 release and sounds amazing. I think it has the potential to be a cross-generational read because it doesn't seem to pinpoint any one group. It also helps that it's set in my home state of North Carolina. Check out the summary.
The Prayer Box cover When Iola Anne Poole, an old-timer on Hatteras Island, passes away in her bed at ninety-one, the struggling young mother in her rental cottage, Tandi Jo Reese, finds herself charged with the task of cleaning out Iola's rambling Victorian house.Running from a messy, dangerous past, Tandi never expects to find more than a temporary hiding place within Iola's walls, but everything changes with the discovery of eighty-one carefully decorated prayer boxes, one for each year, spanning from Iola's youth to her last days. Hidden in the boxes is the story of a lifetime, written on random bits of paper--the hopes and wishes, fears and thoughts of an unassuming but complex woman passing through the seasons of an extraordinary, unsung life filled with journeys of faith, observations on love, and one final lesson that could change everything for Tandi.

From Goodreads

How intriguing does that sound? I think it would be creepy, but very interesting to have to go through someone's personal effects. You can learn so much more about someone from the things they hide than the things they willingly display. This sounds like such an inspiring book & I can't wait until I get a chance to read it! What are you waiting on this week?

2 comments:

Jerz Bookish Nerd said...

At the beginning of the description I was like "ok this would be so creepy" but by the end I was completely intrigued. I keep a prayer journal and there have been times over the last year when I struggled to write that I would look back and it would teach me something or remind of other things. I think it would be pretty cool to read someone's prayers over the years especially like this book with it being her whole life.
My WoW

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Love when books our set in our home states! And this definitely sounds cross-generational as it covers her whole life. I think I might like it as I adore epistolary novels.