Pages

Jul 13, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Pearl by Jo Knowles

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

And we're back with Waiting on Wednesday! While this cover is very reminiscent of Matched by Ally Condie, I love its simplicity! Also, who couldn't resist a main character with a name like Bean? Pearl by Jo Knowles is scheduled for a July 19th release & I can't wait until we get our copies for the library. Read the blurb:

Bean (née Pearl) and Henry, misfits and best friends, have the strangest mothers in town. Henry’s mom Sally never leaves the house. Bean’s mom Lexie, if she is home, is likely nursing a hangover or venting to her friend Claire about Bean’s beloved grandfather Gus, the third member of their sunny household.

Gus’s death unleashes a host of family secrets that brings them all together. And they threaten to change everything—including Bean’s relationship with Henry, her first friend, and who also might turn out to be her first love.

From Goodreads

Apparently I'm in a realistic fiction mood because this sounds very alluring. Having a boy as a best friend growing up I'm truly interested in seeing the dynamics of their relationship. I remember other kids constantly picking on us because "boys & girls couldn't be best friends." I'm sure we both have very fond memories of playing soldiers with nerf guns & splashing around in the kiddie pool. Even more alluring than the friendship is the familial relationship. All in all I'm extremely curious.

What are you waiting on this week?

1 comment:

Cait said...

Great choice, I really fancy this book too!! it sounds great.

The Cait Files