Pages

Dec 11, 2009

Nostalgic Friday: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Chon and David Levithan

Welcome back to Nostalgic Friday! Since I love all things historical (culturally, physically, and personally) I do a post on Fridays honoring some awesome book that is a bit older. Many of them are books I enjoyed in my teens and others are books that I discovered as an adult that I think are relevant to YA readers.

Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist CoverThis week's pick is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. I found this book not long before the movie came out. The movie, starring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings, came out in late 2008. As soon as I heard that it was based on a book, I ran to work (remember I work at a library) to snatch up a copy before they were all gone. I was not disappointed at all!

When you are coming off the heels of a painful break-up, your first reaction is probably not going out to hit the club. At least, not in this sense. Nick and Norah are both lively, energetic, passionate people who LOVE music. After their personal realtionship tragedies, they head out on the town (seperately) with friends to try enjoying company.

A chance meeting at a particular club lands these two together on a whirlwind adventure all over the city. They learn a lot about themselves, each other, and what their futures hold for them. Little do they know that they will find exactly what they were running from in each other.

A witty, fast-paced read, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is told in alternating voices giving wonderful perspective and depth on two different viewpoints of the same situation. While Norah is notorious for her foul mouth and in-your-face attitude, Nick is her counter-part as he is rather quiet and observant. All of the characters are dynamic and likeable to the point that I kind of wish they were my friends. Not to mention the fact that these teens actually seem like real teens. The authors did a fantastic job capturing the essence of these personalities. Just an all around fun read that will leave you wanting more. Give it a shot!

2 comments:

Jessica Love said...

I love this book so much!

Lola said...

Oooh! I didn't know the movie was based off a book! I must go and read it!!!