Pages

Sep 21, 2010

Author Signing: Terra McVoy!

I was fortunate enough to get to attend another signing of the AMAZING Terra McVoy. Apparently I never wrote about the first signing I went to for her debut novel Pure, but she is really the person you have to thank for my blog. Back in July of 2009, I attended her signing at a local library. When I walked up to have my book signed, I told her my plans of doing a book review blog. She was so kind and supportive, considering she offered to be my very first author interview! So, in short, thank her for pushing me to do this blog. :)

Back to the current subject at hand, I went to the ever fabulous Quail Ridge Books to see Terra for her second book After the Kiss. It was a small event, with only about 15 -20 people in attendance, but I find those are the best kinds of events. They seem more personal since the author is right there! Terra was all big smiles & giggles for most of the event, except when she was reading aloud from the book. Let me assure you, that was the most amazing thing I have ever heard at an author event.

For those of you who don't know, After the Kiss is written in prose. Some pieces take the form of poetry, while others take on the form of free-flowing thoughts. While I am a huge fan of poetry, I have always had a tough time reading it; unless it is read out loud. Terra graced us with several pieces from the book so that we could get a feel for the two very distinct voices of Camille & Becca. Listening to Terra read was like listening to a favorite song. She knew where the pauses went (and later explained to me how to discern their location as well) and spoke so eloquently that I could have listened to her speak all afternoon.

To say the absolute least, Terra is charming and delightful and very animated. She makes you feel very welcome and comfortable in her presence. Her excitement about her books and her enthusiasm for life in general make her signings a nice pick-you-up in tough times. If you ever get a chance to see her in person, be sure to take it. I expect to see more great things from her in the future.

No comments: