Pages

Nov 3, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The Fortune of Carmen Navarro

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

The Fortune of Carmen Navarro by Jen Bryant is set to be released November 9th. This style of retelling famous stories has caught on quickly with me & being that I studied Carmen by Prosper Mérimée in French, in France, I think this one will be a big hit with me. I hope you all are enjoying this retelling resurgence as much as me.

Carmen Navarro rings up customers at the Quikmart, bored to tears. It’s a job, and she needs it. But Carmen’s true love is music: she dropped out of high school to sing with the Gypsy Lovers and land a recording contract, someday.

Just a few
miles away, Ryan Sweeney hunches over his books, a studious cadet with his eye on West Point. There’s not a single girl at the Valley Forge Military Academy, and that’s fine by him.

But when Ryan, on a day pass from campus, spots Carmen, with her shining black hair and snake tattoo, his pulse quickens. Carmen, who normally rolls her eyes at the stiff Academy soldados, can tell this one is different. She slips him a note: “Come hear my band.” A romance begins, unlikely, passionate . . . and quickly imbalanced. In an enthralling narrative of obsessive love, the novel builds to a stunning close.

Inspired by the novella and opera Carmen, Jen Bryant creates a strong-minded and alluring heroine in this contemporary tale of tragic love.


From Goodreads

How tantalizing does that sound? Even if it wasn't based on the famous novella, I think this storyline would still have attracted my attention. I'm hoping Jen Bryant can be as magical in her future endeavors. What are you waiting on this week?

No comments: