Pages

May 30, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Before You Go by James Preller

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

Welcome back folks! For those of you stateside, I hope you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend & were sure to take a moment to thank the soldiers. For those of you non-stateside folks, I hope you enjoyed your regularly scheduled Monday. Now on to the Waiting on Wednesday fun!

This week I find myself charmed by the anticipation of the July 17th release of Before You Go by James Preller. Not 100% my usual fair as I tend to stick to the lighter side when I read realistic fiction, this one just calls to me. Maybe it's because the main character is named for a Beatles song or maybe it's the idea that he is responsible for his little sister's death. I'm not really clear on what exactly is pulling me towards this book, but be sure to keep your eyes peeled once I finally get my hands on it. Check it out.

Before You Go coverThe summer before his senior year, Jude (yes, he’s named after the Beatles song) gets his first job, falls in love for the first time, and starts to break away from his parents. Jude’s house is kept dark, and no one talks much—it’s been that way since his little sister drowned in a swimming pool seven years ago when Jude was supposed to be watching her.

Now, Jude is finally, finally starting to live. Really live. And then, life spins out of control. Again.

Acclaimed author James Preller explores life, death, love, faith, and resilience in his first young adult novel that will grip readers from the book’s dramatic first few pages to its emotional end.

From Goodreads 


I know I gave you essentially the same information in my explanation of what's drawing me to the book, but that's all there is! It's teasingly cruel to give us so little, but still just the right amount to make you wonder what's going on in this almost happy recovering world.

What are you waiting on this week?

2 comments:

James Preller said...

Oh no, the pressure! My knees are sweating.

I do hope you enjoy the book when it comes out. I think it's a quiet story, and a short one, too. Hopefully closely observed and true in the way that all good fiction can be True, with a capital T.

It's my first YA after 25 years of publishing, the story I had to tell. Because sometimes you need to write the book you need to write.

I appreciate your interest and support. It means a lot to me. Thank you.

James Preller

loreleimarsh said...

I'm glad you decided to take a risk. What's life without a little risk?