Pages

Feb 27, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: Being Henry David by Cal Armistead

Waiting on Wednesday recognizes that we as bookies pine for books. This post is about what I am impatiently waiting for right now. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

I have always been a semi-free spirit. That is, I am enamored with the idea of being at one with nature, enjoying spiritual encounters (however they manifest), and basically just existing rather than fighting tooth and nail to gain more "stuff" in that I don't really need. The Transcendentalists have always fascinated me, so naturally a book based on a boy named after one of the famous Transcendentalists is going to catch my eye. Being Henry David by Cal Armistead is set to hit shelves March 1, 2013 and I for one hope that it is everything I have been looking for in an escape novel.


Being Henry David coverSeventeen-year-old "Hank" has found himself at Penn Station in New York City with no memory of anything --who he is, where he came from, why he's running away. His only possession is a worn copy of Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. And so he becomes Henry David-or "Hank" and takes first to the streets, and then to the only destination he can think of--Walden Pond in Concord, Massachusetts. Cal Armistead's remarkable debut novel is about a teen in search of himself. Hank begins to piece together recollections from his past. The only way Hank can discover his present is to face up to the realities of his grievous memories. He must come to terms with the tragedy of his past, to stop running, and to find his way home.
From Goodreads

A wandering book is perfect for me right now. There are times when we feel physically lost and other times we feel emotionally lost and right now I consider myself to be in the latter group. I'm hoping that by enjoying this book about a boy finding himself that I will be able to find myself. While that is a lot of pressure to put on a debut novel, something tells me that this one can stand up to the challenge. Anyone heard anything good about this one?

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I actually just finished this one and really enjoyed it. I think wandering kind of hits the nail on the head when describing it.

loreleimarsh said...

Awesome! Thanks Ashley. Now I'm really looking forward to it!