Pages

Sep 9, 2013

September Genreflecting: Historical Fiction: The Basics

Genreflecting wordle

I wanted to do a reading challenge for the subject of Genreflecting, but I didn't get much feedback (maybe because it asked you to read 2 books for each genre and discuss them or because it's not really a "reading challenge" per se, but more an educational experiment), so I've turned it into a monthly feature! For each month of 2013, there will be a specific genre that will be analyzed. I'm planning to have author input and at least 2 reviews of books in the genre as well.

September's genre is Historical Fiction! These books, obviously, are set in the past and can vary from recent past (like the 1960s and 1970s) to several centuries ago (1700s). These kinds of books appeal to all manner of readers based on place, time period, & character backgrounds. It's a way to travel back in time to a personally unfamiliar (or favorite) era and experience someone else's life for a while. Equal parts entertaining & informative, these  books never cease to please a reader because of the amount of variety available. Some people prefer to read about certain eras or time periods, while others prefer certain places to be predominately featured. No matter what you're looking for, you're sure to find something to like. (adapted from the Teen Genreflecting, 2nd edition)

I enjoy a wide variety of historical fiction books ranging from:
I'm excited to say that I've chosen my two books, one older and one newer, to read for this challenge. The older book is Lyddie by Katherine Paterson (originally published in 1991) and I'll have a review and analysis up on Friday, September 20th. The newer book is Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (originally published in 2012 [in the US]) and I'll have a review and analysis up on Friday, September 27th. I'll also be hosting a giveaway, so stay tuned!

No comments: